Icarus Complex

Icarus Complex
by Ebony Isis Booth

I.
There is a balm in Gilead, to soothe the sin sick
wound festering on the tip of my new, New Mexican tongue
a different heft than my old, New Jersey diction
it is tender, and swollen
just the tip
discolored ever so subtly,
positioned in a familiar and foreign palette of brown
speculation as to what shade is the new, nude in this place
estimating by careful assessment if it is safe here

to be nude
            and at this end of the spectrum of flesh tones
observing nearby vacancies for blue black and mahogany
            feeling phantom pangs of color disappeared
grateful that visual expression is not my creative jig
            I cannot paint this picture

what of the words 
I have catapulted from a fleshy soft palate of pink
like healthy pussies deliver healing from oh, ye gates
in thanksgiving and the men with poison dripping from their organs
pipe sludge from the bowels of holy ground and pound holes
in the foundation of everything that matters

to consider the darkness of my language this close to the sun
is blasphemous

these are the words
memorized and repeated in rapid recitation
sometimes in rhythm with invisible drums
or sung from the bottom of a boat or ravine
wherever my discarded ancestors carcasses lay
I wonder if the sun bleached bones of disappeared black girls miss their melanin
do they retain the sensation of double-dutch and drill team
once absorbed by
now, dehydrated marrow?

to consider the condition of my skin this close to the sun is
nonsensical

II.
the only words I know
are painted in the color of my perspective
rose colored lenses affirm drunken genealogy lessons of
how we came to have Indian in our family
never have I felt so ashamed of that fact
until news that this new, New Jersey girls great-great-great grandmother was Cherokee
and/or slave
new, New Mexican shade of brown girl stands face to face
with members of  the First Nations
who know the meaning of their names and do not need me as kin
to validate an internal need to make brown synonymous with other
in a place previously unnamed,
now filed under shame
I thought this tidbit of what I am mixed with
gave me status among all the other shades insecurity might turn a face

disgraceful

you learn things about the words you know when you breathe new air
their weight changes
the output of lungs in a room might elevate you with all the warmth and splendor
of hot air balloons in winter
or escape you after the sunrise and leave you abandoned and deflated
by the scheduled time of my first meeting
I am often empty and off course
the wind refuses my fare
the gasps and tight lips from the opposite end of the palette
retrieve their hot air
if I drop weight
nose ring
sterling silver set stones
hips
all that hair

I could say the words that I know
true and simultaneously inoffensive
lighten the discoloration
lance the infection site with wit
soothe the tender and swollen thing festering
use the words I know again and levitate
unafraid
often the only
always the same

these words are all that I have
every syllable an anchor
syntax rescued from a deluge of blood
burdened down like Monday morning hangovers
dangling 164 lb corpse testing fortitude of trash can liners
           
heavy

death drop in the pit of your stomach
will you accept the charges? phone calls and parenthetical
bank balances
you think, maybe tomorrow we can call my daddy?
picking Powerball numbers from unarmed victims ages
because there were too few indictments
           
16, 22, 28, 43, 50 Powerball: 12

all of the songs I sing sound best in minor keys
the words are so heavy
maybe the reason my voice is so deep


Comments

Popular Posts