Great Day in the Morning


https://kanelsnurr.deviantart.com/art/Tea-and-Cigarettes-169811984




















I rise and stagger from thrift store throne
sun drunk and nicotine / caffeine high
Lord’s morning worship service
bedroom balcony my sanctuary

late April heat alerts
stubble of armpits to
let pheromones from pores
I smell like somebody’s mama

inside my bedroom now
sun blind and feeling through a
landscape of laundry mounds
dryer sheets waving surrender

there is no king of these hills
a rogue monarch sits slumped in
her side chair picky headed 
crown satin bonnet soft scowl

I fix my face like this deliberately to
survey my territory freely without
somebody asking me “what’s wrong?’
‘cause I know it ain’t none of nobody’s
damned business

the nightstand knows my loyal Hand
holding report cards and tarot decks
dappled with ash from cigarettes I 
smoked defiantly in bed

haphazard altar upon which I burn
nag champa and clove flavored tobacco
knitted monogram coaster
gifted from The Princess

leather pouch of crystals I charge
under full moons and never make time
to catalog their magical properties
they do what I pray them to I think

report card and permission slips await a
reasonable response mood tone lesson
one with more tea and honey
no red wine and smoke

come Monday I will have dusted and
razed the garment heaps and set
controlled blaze to 
white sage and palo santo 

before welcoming the colonizer to whom
I pay a handsome rate to reign 
across my drawbridge so that he may
inspect the condition of my castle

I will be regal then
I will wait until he has gone satisfied
until that departure
I have had enough of sunshine


Image: Tea and Cigarettes
https://kanelsnurr.deviantart.com/art/Tea-and-Cigarettes-169811984

Comments

Popular Posts